January 22, 2009

UGGH! Jr. Jazz!!!




So I'm not really sure what it is about Jr. Jazz that bothers me so much, but I really struggle with it. Is it because they are only allowed one practice per week for 45 minutes and one game per week? Is it because there is no way kids can learn to play without adequate playing time? Or could it be the teens who referee the games are scared blow their whistle, or know what fouls to call? Or could it be the coach (not Troy) who wants to teach 8 year old kids a box and one defense that they can't possibly understand nor do they want to? Could it be that Jr. Jazz is a lot like church ball, flailing arms, scratching, the occasional bite? Could it be that perhaps I am waaay to competitive and need to take a chill pill?
Whatever it is, I wouldn't be anywhere else on a Saturday afternoon. I love to watch my kids in everything they do, even if it means holding it together for another Jr. Jazz game! Max is my last Jr. Jazz player. Kaiti begged me to let her play when she was in 1st grade, in fact she begged me to coach. I did, and she cried every week for 9 weeks. She hated it! I think she hated kids slapping and pushing her around-go figure! She loves church ball now! Hmmm, is there a connection? Maybe she's the pushy one now?!?
So here's a few pictures of my baby "prepping" for the game! He judges his performance based on his head sweat! If his head is super sweaty, it was a good game!

3 comments:

Tycksen Family said...

Hey, I almost lost it at Lauren's game last week...there was a girl guarding her and she was on top of Lauren's back...Lauren could've given her a piggy back ride...After a quarter of that they finally said...you can't touch the person your guarding.....:)
It is so fun to watch...and yet so hard at the same time. BUt, I wouldn't be anywhere else...the hardest thing for us is being at all the games...they are always at the same time...so we divide and conquer. :)

Perschon Family said...

ok that is hilarious! i love those pics of max! i never played jr. jazz but i watched my little sister and i agree...silliness! good for you for sticking it out! hope max has lots of head sweat today!

Kami said...

I'm right in the middle of Jr. Jazz season myself, but with 5 year olds. I have to say that this is only our first year, and I LOVE it. Not because there is much going on in the way of skill, but because it is hilarious to watch. At 5, they don't even call traveling. It is a fine line to walk between pushing the kids to improve and letting them have fun! Hang in there!