January 26, 2009

Meet "Snake Eyes"!


The Pinewood Derby is a rite of passage for most dad's-oops, I mean boys. This last Saturday was Max's first Pinewood Derby. Lot's of preparation took place prior to the big race. I have found from past experience that a women's touch is not necessarily wanted or welcomed when it comes to pinewood derby cars! This year was no exception. Most of the work had been done in the basement, where it's unfinished and cold. Troy was concerned about the paint drying. He had set up a heat lamp and some sort of portable heater so it could dry. Of course at 1 AM when I finish working, I notice that the lights are on down stairs and think to myself, what a waste of energy, not to mention a fire hazard! So I unplug, turn off the lights and go to bed. When Troy came home from work Friday afternoon to finish, he marched up the stairs plopped the car in front of me and Max without a word. I could sense his "concern" about something, but the car looked great to me. I did notice a scale-like finish. I thought it looked cool. Troy said it wasn't supposed to look like that. Knowing we had to weigh in any minute, I tried to make what Troy thought was lemons into lemonade! "Wow, Max! Your car looks like snake skin! That's awesome!"
I could see that the power of suggestion was working in my favor!
I continued, "Oooo, you could call it 'Snake Eyes'!" Yes, that would be his name! Snake Eyes! Max was thrilled, Troy was a little disappointed in the craftsmanship, which we all know is a total reflection of him. WHATEVER! As long as Max was happy I didn't care!


Weigh In's! More to come about the "Derby Track Nazi" later!


Okay, so I couldn't resist adding this picture. Max has his car wrapped up in cloth to protect it! He was so proud of his car! I have one of Troy just like this one but he wouldn't let me post it!!!!

1 comment:

Perschon Family said...

OH man...I am anxiously awaiting these exciting moments in our future with our boys! I'll remember what you said about a Woman's suggestions and input not being appreciated. I totally would've done the same thing by turning off the lights. Way to pull of the snake idea!

That is awesome that he got best detail! Go MAX!!! (And that picture of Troy and Alex is great! I hope my boys get along with Brody like that when they are teenagers!)