June 7, 2009

The Church is still true-even Sunday's at 1pm!

Our ward, the Cedar Point Ward is, for lack of a better word, homeless! Due to some much needed remodeling, our ward house is closed for the summer. It seems in the ten years we have lived out here, we always seem to be in the ward that whenever there as been a boundary realignment, we get stuck with the 1-4 pm schedule. It is the most undesirable schedule- especially in the summer! Not to mention that today we counted 6 ward houses we passed on the way to our temporary new home! At first I thought maybe I was being punished for not being more stalwart but then quickly realized that could not be the case because I live among the best neighbors ever!
We moved to this neighborhood ten years ago, May 1999 when we built our house on Van Cott Peak Dr. Then five years ago, we got the opportunity to build again, two blocks away. We jumped at the chance to build our dream home in the neighborhood we had come to love
so much.
In that time, we have had several ward boundary changes, the stake has grown from what was 1 stake to 4 stakes and many bishops, Bishop Shakespeare, Bishop Roth, Bishop Hale, Bishop Davis, Bishop Hart, Bishop Ollis and currently Bishop Bronson (hope I didn't forget one!). Which is interesting considering that a bishop is usually asked to serve for about 5 years! When we first moved here, the neighborhood was surrounded by farms. Now I find we are surrounded by chapels and temples!
On a clear day from my bedroom window I can see three amazing temples, Jordan River, Draper Temple and most currently, our temple, the Oquirrh Mountain Temple.
I can't help but think that I am witnessing a miracle. I am witnessing the prophecy of temples dotting the land. I am a witness to the truthfulness of the Church. I am so very grateful for the gospel and the security and happiness it provides.
So this summer as we make the long drive all the way to the Cove for church on Sunday, at the awful hour of 1 p.m., I will be ever grateful to those pioneers whose trek to this valley was more strenuous than a 7 minute car ride. Who lost their loved ones before their journey was through. Who likely suffered many unmentionable trials but did it in the name of faith. This summer I will recommit myself to do a little less murmuring and have a lot more faith!

4 comments:

The Grant Family said...

Julie, you're the best. Thanks for putting it all in perspective :)

Joy & Casey said...

LOVE this post...we truly are so blessed and need to live worthy of those blessings.

One question...with all the crazy ward changes I don't think you were in my ward when we had to go to church from 3-6 were you? 1-4 is NOTHING!!! :) it's all about perspective!

the Brakey's said...

Oh Yes Joy, i did go 3-6 for a little while! We always get teh crap time-oops, I mean, the church is true, the church is true!

Perschon Family said...

Love your attitude! We were out of town yesterday so I didn't feel the "pain" of that drive or schedule but I'll be honest that I'm not looking forward to it! BUT you did just put it in perspective! Thanks!!! And I can't believe all those changes in just 10 years! Crazy!